The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP, or Food Program) is a little known federal program administered by the USDA designed to ensure that children in care in America get the best possible nutrition, to help them grow up strong and healthy and to help establish healthy eating habits for life.

It is small by federal standards (about $2 billion annually), so it is one of the least known federal programs. But it is responsible on a daily basis for ensuring that over 2.9 million children (and 86,00 elderly Americans) are given the nutrition they need to stay healthy.

For the hard working women and men who operate their child care businesses, working to care for America’s next generation, the Child and Adult Care Food Program not only helps cover the cost of food they offer to the children in their care, but also provides training so they make the best nutrition choices when feeding those children.

Equal Opportunity Disclaimer

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.  

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program  Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: 


and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  • Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue,
    SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
  • Fax: (202) 690-7442
  • Email: [email protected]